2008 has been a wonderful, exciting, and busy year! It's hard to believe that 2009 is almost here! Here are the main highlights from this year:
Ministry
Joe and I got to enjoy numerous ministry opportunities this year. The main events included a winter retreat in South Dakota with some dear friends, the Fergens (left pic), and a week of SERVE in Grand Rapids, Michigan (right pic).

Joe also spoke at a retreat in Oklahoma as well as at some various churches for pulpit supply. Traveling and ministering has become one of our favorite things. We hope to do more of it in the future. Joe has a link on his website with more info on that. He also has a blog that he updates with speaking topics as well as what God lays on his heart from day to day. Check them out!










Physical Fitness
This year we have become more active, especially in the area of running. Joe has actually come to enjoy running - he takes the dogs with him as often as possible (even when it was 15 degrees out!). We started off 2008 with the Frosty 5K on New Year's Day (left pic). It was COLD! The next race was the Superbowl Sunday 4 mile (right pic).
In April, we traveled to Lawrence, Ks so Joe could run his first 1/2 marathon! That's right, 13.1 miles - he did a great job (left pic)!! Also in April, I traveled up to Hesston with the "Asbury Sole Sisters" to run the Emma Creek 5K. It was a blast (right pic)!
Next we ran the River Run 10K in May. It was my first 10K! Joe finished way ahead of me, but it was still a huge accomplishment. :) We didn't run any races in the summer, but Joe just did the Jingle Bell Run (4 mile) this December, and we're ready for the Frosty 5K again! Joe has decided that his goal in 2009 is 6-pack abs... he figures that he'll improve his tummy as mine grows - ha ha. :)
11 year rut is OVER!
So to most people a hair cut isn't big news... but for me it is! I had (sadly) had the same haircut for 11 years and was quite content with it. My sister was accepted to Eric Fisher Academy and began hair school. She warned me from the get-go that she wanted me to be her final portfolio project... yet I was still not quite prepared. :) In May, I let her have her way with my head - she did an amazing job! Here's a peek at the before, during, and a shot from her final portfolio shoot. I can no longer say that I've never colored my hair! :)

Summer
So without a doubt our favorite part of 2008 was our summer! We got to spend 3 1/2 weeks at our family's cabin in Wisconsin:
It was so relaxing! I loved waking up in the mornings to see the sun over the glass water (left pic). We played in the water all day - even had some late night boat rides (right pic).
Our days were spent swimming, skiing, playing with the dogs, napping, and repeating the process. The dogs would wait on the dock for us to come throw the ball for them (left pic). Asher and Cali would fly off the dock to retrieve the ball all day if we were willing (right pic)!!

This summer, Joe conquered the wakeskate! It's a smaller version of a wakeboard, and it has no grips - it's just you and the board, nothing holding you to it! It was hard to learn, but he got the hang of it (left pic)! I stuck to skiing, both on two skis and slalom (right pic). :) Joe and I even skied together a couple of times!

Our travels then took us to Florida to visit Joe's dad and family. It was soooo fun! Here's a pic of us with Joe's dad, brother, and two sisters in Key Biscane. Unfortunately Rochelle (step-mom) isn't in this pic, but she was a big part of our trip, too!! We're headed back there for the week after Christmas and can't wait! :)
School
Oh, I forgot to mention that Joe has been in school this whole time - working on TWO masters degrees! Though he enjoyed the summer travels, he was still doing homework the whole time. I was quite proud of his time management! This past month, Joe finished both degrees - YEA!! Here's a pic of him turning in his last assignment - WAHOO!!!
Announcements
2008 was also a fun and exciting year of news! In April, my sister and her husband announced that they had a little one on the way! In September, Joe and I found out that we, too, have a baby coming!! We're due May 21st - my parents' anniversary! It has been a blast to share this time with family. Here's a pic of my side of the family from November (Cassy is about to pop and I'm just getting my baby bump):
Here's a beginning belly shot from when we found out (left pic), then a pic from when we told our families (right pic). We realized in the second pic that Cassy was 7 months along and I had 7 months to go - fun!

So... after much anticipation, my sister went into labor after Thanksgiving dinner and had Malachi James the next day! You can check my post before this one for more info on that. :)

Isn't he beautiful? Joe and I love being "Uncle Joe" and "Aunt G" - it's one of the best things ever! We can't wait for the day our little one is born and we become Mommy and Daddy! Here are a couple more belly shots (for those requesting):

Sidenote: we're NOT finding out the sex of the baby... so you will all have to wait until May to know whether it'll be a little Joe or Ginger! :)
Currently...
What now? Well, Joe will be teaching a class at Sterling College starting in January - he's really looking forward to that! He is still looking for a pastoral position at a church - preferably here in Wichita, so we'll see what God has in store!
As for me, I am still working at the jail as the Chaplain's Assistant. We are hoping that when the baby comes, I will become a full-time stay-at-home mom. :) I have been doing more photography, which I absolutely love. My dear friend, Gina has taken me under her wing as her assistant, so I will be shooting weddings with her in 2009 - I'm so excited! Check out her website to see her work. I have started a small website of my work - check it out, too! I would love to transition to full-time photography, or even part-time once the baby comes. We'll see!
That's it from the Skillen household! Hope you have enjoyed our update. :) We are so thankful for all our friends and family - we pray that you have a safe, wonderful, and blessed Christmas and a Happy New Year! We'll leave you with a current "belly pic" - taken today (about 19 weeks along):




1 comment:
SO glad for the update! Can't wait to see you soon and see the bump for real!!!!! How about a little "pre-jog" in Florida before you guys go back for the Frosty Run?
I am thinking about going down to OKC on April 26 for the Memorial run with some of my co-workers. You guys should think about it. I think I will do the 5K but Dr.Foster and my boss Larry are planning to do the 1/2 marathon. Maybe with you at 8 months I could keep up with you in a 5K :) See you soon!
Post a Comment